Friday, November 6, 2009

...Are you a Honda?

There comes a point in every student's lives where they wonder what has brought them to where they are now. I bring this concern to the forefront, not to elaborate on the meaning of life, but rather how important it is to the ad world. On the management track, I have yet to take big gulp of advertising. The trickles I've managed to get have been splendid - but I'm yearning for more. In a past post from "Please Feed the Animals," Josh Copeland reveals that, "an account animal's judgement affects the work an agency produces on a daily basis." Minute decisions could be the determining factor as to what makes the product good or the best. So Copeland asks his readers to determine why you made the decisions you've made, career wise as well as life-wise. I've heard this matter of choices in my intro to advertising class as well, and it still leaves me stumped. Humans possess this natural ability to story tell - to give concrete explanations to ideas, concepts and feels that may or may even had evidence to support. Humans can't very well say "I don't know," in fact we glare sternly at those who do mutter those disappointing words. In Malcolm Gladwell's Blink, Gladwell responds to the cries of "I don't know" as satisfactory - there are times when sometimes "I don't know" just maybe that and we should accept it. There's that gut feelings that lets us know, this is right or this is wrong. And while the advertising world may need that explanation, considering how much is money is on the line, what if there was someone out there who just knew this was it. Granted, that person may have a large opposition, but it'd still be interesting.

So early in my advertising career that I feel like I need to refocus my way of thinking. I must reason why I make the decisions and I make...but of course take with me that bit of spontaneity.

On a different note, has anyone seen the new campaigns for Honda? There's always something cleaver about the new Honda campaigns - they have a tendency to either be cute and cool, or cool and cool. A la the Civic nation campaign, it doesn't try to hard to attract the likes of the hip and the cool, say for example like Kia's Soul with the hip hamsters. So the question remains, "are you a Honda?"

No comments:

Post a Comment