Sunday, May 24, 2009

reluctant buyer

I think by this point my professor has embedded in our brains that we should know more about advertising than the average person. As a result of this, it has made me become a reluctant consumer. Who knew the Pro-V vitamins in Pantene weren't real? I sure as hell didn't. It never really occured to me that such science could be fake because after all, that's what the ad said. Hah, thanks to a semester's worth of advertising, I spot pseudoscience in every aisle at my local drugstore. Naturally, it delays any impulse I have to buy a product because formula 5343535 is proven to make me smarter. It's amazing how much words, when formed a certain way, can really persuade the consumer to make an impulse buy. Walking down the beauty aisle, it's so hard not to miss the many improvements one can have with a simple use of mascara or lip balm. It's like every beauty product is made to improve your "natural" beauty...might as well throw in some plastic surgeons while you're at. But in retrospect you must appluad those who have created this call to action to improve your beauty. Because in the end, Olay's a billion dollar brand and it wouldn't be if the millions who are using it didn't get whisked away with the advertising.

Speaking of beauty products, I couldn't help but think in retrospect about our group's Noxzema ad. I think I'm still pushing for the original idea that we had for it. I think there are lot of beauty products out there that promise something for their consumer. Because of this, you're gonna be popular and happy. But for teenage girls and young women, is that really what they're looking for? I think the Dove Campaign, "Real Beauty," speaks wonders. Instead of promoting the benefit of the product, they promoted who's using the product. Generally, not every gal wakes up refreshed and rejuvenated, but they do wake up with their own body and face. With that in mind, not everyone is obviously molded into the same size and shape. By using real women with real problems, they were able to resonate with an audience. This allowed them to push away the idea of supermodels and beauty products to beauty products with a purpose. This is what sets Dove apart from other brands: its beauty campaigns touched a cultural nerve by challenging the current super-thin, silky-hair, perfect skin standard. If you watch Trust Me, there's an episode about Sarah creating the tv spot for Dove's shampoo. It was about damaged hair but they transformed the idea of damage to a relatable issue while injecting the truth about this product. "We can't fix your love life, but we can fix your hair." COME ON! Tell me that isn't great. But enough about Dove..I wanted our campaign to focus on the idea of a mirror and what it brings to a woman. In front of a mirror, every woman either gains or loses her confidence. In that defining moment she decides how she's gonna look and feel. In such an intricate part of a woman's day that it's hardly noticed. I wanted to our campaign to bring that small, important part of our day to the forefront of our consumer's mind. And somehow, include Noxzema into that equation. Blah, I guess I'm not a creative so I wouldn't know how to execute that. But still..I wished our creative was strong enough to demonstrate either idea better. I don't blame our professor for choosing the other group. They had a clear creative and execution. They were pitching a great story while we were pitch a brand personality without really demonstrating that personality. It's weird...but I guess that's what intro's for, to learn and grow.


This is a lot for a Sunday afternoon. Countdown to New York begins now. :)

FIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment